Reporting Violence

First, do not be scared. You are not alone – we are here to support you.


How to report an incident of violence to the police:


  • In an emergency, dial 100
  • In other cases, lodge an FIR at the nearest police station. An FIR is the first information report which is provided by any person who has knowledge of the commission of an offence.
  • It can be filed by the victim, a witness to the crime, a police officer, or anyone who has knowledge of the crime.
  • Once an FIR is registered, the police is duty bound to start the investigation of the case.
  • No police officer can refuse to register an FIR, if the offence being reported occurred outside their police station's jurisdiction. S/he is bound to register the FIR (this is called a zero FIR) and forward it to the concerned police station.
  • For lodging FIR, information can be given in orally or in writing to the police officer who will write it in simple language as close as possible to your own words.
  • An FIR for any of the gender-based sexual offences under Sections 326A, 326B, 354, 354B, 370A, 376, 376A, 376B, 376C, 376D, 376E or 509 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) must be recorded by a woman police or woman officer if an aggrieved woman gives information herself. If the victim is mentally or physically disabled (even temporarily), the FIR must be recorded at her residence or location of her choice in the presence of an interpreter/special educator, and it must be video-graphed.
  • A copy of the FIR will be provided free of cost to the informant.


What if the Police refuse to register the FIR?

  • Send information about the crime in writing to the district Superintendent of Police (SP) by registered post, if the information discloses the commission of a cognizable offence, the SP may investigate the case or order investigation by a junior officer.
  • Complain to the Magistrate if the SP does not take action. The Magistrate can inquire into the case, or ask for an investigation by the police or any other person s/he thinks fit.
  • If you are a female victim of a sexual offence, you can file an FIR against the police officer concerned for refusal to register your complaint under Section 166 A (c) of the IPC.
  • If you have any problem in registering or investigation of your case, please email full details to